There are a lot of potential health benefits of green tea. As we all know, green tea is a popular drink that has multiple properties. Among the best known are its antioxidant properties. Its main antioxidant is polyphenols which help prevent cell damage. Scientific evidence shows that it also helps to lose weight, reduce blood fat, and prevent diseases such as cancer and other degenerative diseases¹.
Green tea contains powerful antioxidants called catechin polyphenols which have been found to stimulate your metabolism and in turn accelerate weight loss¹⁴. Green tea is thought to aid weight loss by boosting the body’s metabolism. The processes that allow the body to convert food and drink into usable energy are collectively known as the metabolism. Green tea may be beneficial for weight loss by helping the body’s metabolism to be more efficient56.
Green tea is also loaded with antioxidants. Among its benefits, it may help support brain function and fat loss, help reduce the chance of developing heart disease, and offer some protection against cancer³. Research shows that antioxidants in green tea may help lower the risk of certain types of cancers, including breast cancer by 15% colorectal cancer by 30-40% and oral cancer. It combats cancer by neutralizing free radicals (chemical by-products known to damage DNA).
It is also known to be good for body health. Low-caffeine ingredients in green tea can be an alternative drink for coffee drinkers who want to have less caffeine¹. Its bioactive compound catechins help in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. It boosts immunity and regulates the immune system health by preventing neurodegenerative disorders.
However, it is important to note that green tea does not offer anti-cancer or other extreme benefits as proposed by many¹. Studies show that people who regularly drink green tea are able to burn between 70-100 calories more per day due to the polyphenols in it2. Drinking three to five cups of green tea daily, alongside a healthy diet, is associated with a 41% lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease3.
So, it pays eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle has many benefits. It can help you live longer, keep your skin, teeth and eyes healthy, support your muscles, boost your immunity, strengthen your bones and lower the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers. It can also support healthy pregnancies and breastfeeding and help the digestive system function12.
Eating healthy can also increase your energy levels, enhance your brain function, allow you to focus better and sleep easier3. Maintaining a balanced diet can help you attain ideal body weight and reduce the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular disease and other types of cancer4. So, choose your food wisely and eat unhealthy foods in moderation.
(1) Is Green Tea good to drink?. https://microsoftstart.msn.com/en-us/health/ask-professionals/expert-answers-on-greentea/hp-greentea?questionid=kcj472ok&type=nutrition&source=bingmainline_nutritionqna.
(2) 10 Evidence-Based Benefits of Green Tea – Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-green-tea.
(3) Is green tea good for you? | BBC Good Food. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-green-tea.
(4) Green tea: Health benefits, side effects, and research – Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/269538.
(5) Green tea for weight loss: Does it work? – Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320540.
(6) Here is how green tea REALLY helps with weight loss. https://bing.com/search?q=why+green+tea+helps+you+lose+weight.
(7) Green Tea & Weight Loss—Can Green Tea Really Help You Lose Weight …. https://parade.com/979522/ericasweeney/green-tea-weight-loss/.
(8) Does green tea promote weight loss?. https://microsoftstart.msn.com/en-us/health/ask-professionals/expert-answers-on-greentea/hp-greentea?questionid=e8lqp6uz&type=nutrition&source=bingmainline_nutritionqna.